Ricoh Announces 10 Megapixels CX5 SuperZoom Compact with Hybrid AF2011-01-26 12:24
- Equipped with Ricoh's unique new hybrid AF system in combination with a passive AF sensor that continuously measures the distance between the camera and subject using an area sensor together with Contrast AF (a system in which the imaging elements search for the peak location for contrast on the subject and focus on that location).
- Enables AF focusing times to be shortened to as low as 0.2 sec. for both wide-angle 28 mm and telephoto 300 mm, up to half as short compared to the CX4 model. Ensures that you capture the image you were waiting for over the entire zoom range so that you never miss another good shot again.
- Enables amazing photographs with high resolution to be produced using the CX5's new super-resolution technology, which discerns outlines, details, and gradations in the image automatically and processes the image based on the optimal settings for each. The level of super-resolution can be set to OFF, Weak, or Strong.
- Allows a wide-angle, high-magnification 10.7x
Ricoh CX5 Sample Photos on Flickr
Ricoh CX5 Camera Reviews Roundup
|PhotoReview Australia - May 12 2011|
"From a subjective viewpoint, the CX5's overall performance was almost indistinguishable from the CX4's, although its autofocusing system was slightly faster and more accurate. However, it tended to hunt when shooting close-ups of moving subjects, although it locked on quite quickly in low light levels as long as the subject was within the range of the AF-As..." More »
|GearGuide - May 12 2011|
"Image quality from the CX5's 10MP backlit CMOS sensor is generally quite good. Between ISO 100 and 400 the CX5 really shines, with a bit more detail than the typical compact, nice contrast, and just enough saturation to make captures look pleasing, but not overdone. Reach past ISO 400, and noise, and thus noise reduction, becomes a real issue, but no worse..." More »
|ePhotoZine - Mar 15 2011|
"The Ricoh CX5 produces images that have bright saturated colour, especially when the sun is shining brightly. Noise is low at the lower ISO settings ISO100 and ISO200, however at ISO400 noise becomes noticeable particularly in bright outdoor shots where you don't expect to see noise. After this, as you increase the ISO setting, image detail and edges starts..." More »
|Photography BLOG - Feb 05 2011|
"Improved auto-focus speed and slightly lower price aside, there's very little reason to choose the CX5 over the 6-month-old CX4. More seriously, Ricoh's travel-zoom camera is now starting to really lag behind the better-featured competition. The 0.2 second AF speed is undoubtedly the CX5's main attraction, although we were never particularly concerned..." More »
Ricoh CX5 Camera Recent User Reviews
- Dec 15 2013 Only for beginners, Katuska Miletich "Katuska Miletich"
Previous model was excelent. This one has some defficiencies. It takes photos yes, but not great ones. Sometimes it doesnt focus accordingly. Even flash is in automatic position... Many dark pictures are taken. Recommended only for beginners....
- Dec 03 2012 repeated repairs!, A. Sanborn
Bought the CX5 in September of 2011. It malfunctioned in the spring of 2012. (When I turned the camera off, the lens kept retracting and extending and retracting and extending. The only way to "turn the camera off" was to take the battery out.) Ricoh repaired it under warranty for no cost. On December 1, 2012, the camera had EXACTLY the same malfunction. I...
- Apr 12 2012 Good for outdoor photos., CLB
Im not the greatest when it comes to taking photos, so I was looking for a point & shot camera with good quality pictures! I found the Ricoh CX5 takes good photos outdoors with not much effort but for indoor photos especially in low lighting you would have to play around with the setting to get it right. This camera was a little more technical then I had hoped for. I...
- Dec 19 2011 Look at the Silver Model, Chris Reich "Business Physicist and Astronomer"
I posted my review under the Silver model if you're looking for more input. I also posted some sample images. This camera has some unique features. #1 is the ability to shoot intervals. Very few cameras have that feature---I know of only a couple. This allows you to set the camera to take an image every 5 seconds-5 minutes-or 1 hour---etc. You set the time. This is so cool. You can...