Canon T3 12.2 Megapixel Digital SLR Reviews Roundup

Canon announces two new entry-level DSLRs, the EOS Rebel T3i (aka 600D) and EOS Rebel T3 (aka 1100D). The Canon Rebel T3i comes with a 18 Megapixels CMOS sensor and a 3-inch vari-angle LCD display. It support capturing of video in full HD 1920 x 1080 resolution at 24p, 25p, or 30p. What's more, the T3i digitally provides additional zoom power without sacrificing quality. The new Movie Digital Zoom feature allows 3x to 10x magnification while shooting Full HD video. Unlike standard digital zoom for still images, Movie Digital Zoom crops the video image directly from the CMOS sensor at Full HD resolution to preserve video quality and still provide additional telephoto power beyond just the lens.

The Canon EOS T3i DSLR camera is scheduled to be available in the beginning of March, and will be sold in a body-only configuration at an estimated retail price of $799.99. It will also be offered in a kit version with Canon's new EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II zoom lens at an estimated retail price of $899.99. There is also a second kit version with Canon's EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS zoom lens at an estimated retail price of $1099.00.
The Canon EOS Rebel T2i DSLR camera is scheduled to be available in early March, and will be sold in a body-only configuration at an estimated retail price of $799.99. It will also be offered in a kit version with Canon's EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS zoom lens at an estimated retail price of $899.99.

Canon EOS Rebel T3 Sample Photos on Flickr

Canon EOS Rebel T3 Camera Reviews Roundup

MacWorld - Oct 25 2011
"The T3's image quality is quite good, with excellent color reproduction that's both natural and accurate, without being dull. Photographers who prefer punchier color, can always adjust saturation or intensity using a selected picture style or ambience option. Exposure accuracy is also one of the T3's strengths and the camera earned a word score of Superior..." More »
70out of 100
PopPhoto - Aug 30 2011
"If you want rapid-fire bursts, the T3 may not be for you. It tops out at 3 frames per second for JPEGs-sluggish even for this class-up to card capacity. The rate slows to 2 fps for up to 5 RAW images, or 0.8 fps for one RAW + JPEG shot. Burst performance is almost always best when capturing JPEGs alone, since these smaller files write faster to a memory car..." More »
Not Rated
Digital Camera Info - Jul 29 2011
"The Canon T3 is an entry-level DSLR camera, coming in at just $499 for the body only. As such, we weren't expecting miracles, though the camera does suffer from obvious cost-cutting in production and a truncated feature-set that keeps the T3 placed firmly below the T3i in the Canon model line. One thing that hasn't been cut is the image quality, as the sens..." More »
75out of 100
Digital Camera Review - Jul 29 2011
"With the introduction of the T3, Canon lists no fewer than six Rebel cameras in their total DSLR pool of thirteen models. The T3 fits into this hierarchy near the bottom of the pile with an MSRP of only $50 more than the cheapest model, the Rebel XS. Canon's entry-level model fleet spans an MSRP range from $550-$900 and includes offerings with sensor resolu..." More »
80out of 100
Trusted Reviews - Jul 22 2011
"Metering is well controlled and consistent, although it's worth noting that even with the camera set to evaluative mode, the metering system does tends to favour light levels immediately around the active focus points. There's no AE/AL Lock button to help get round this either, although a dab of AV compensation can usually help out. Colour is very much..." More »
70out of 100
Steve's Digicam - Jul 22 2011
"In low light, like expected from a dSLR, the T3 performed great. Using the OVF, the AF system acquired focus on the subject in less than ½ second with the pop-up flash employed for AF-assist, and almost a second if the pop-up flash is not ready. The intelligent Full Auto mode automatically deploys the flash in low light. In more advanced exposure modes (Pr..." More »
Not Rated
Digital Camera Review - Jul 07 2011
"The T3 continues one of my usual Canon gripes - files are output at 72 dots per inch (dpi) which results in an image size of almost 60 x 40 inches, making them hard to view in e-mails. You have to resize to send reasonably viewable shots, or resize to make good prints. At least one other Japanese camera company outputs their stuff at 300 dpi - perfect for p..." More »
Not Rated
Camera Labs - Jul 03 2011
"Canon's EOS Rebel T3 / 1100D is a solid entry-level DSLR which ticks the boxes of most first-time buyers without breaking the bank. By employing numerous parts from previous models, there's no surprises in terms of performance, but the 12 Megapixel sensor with Canon's latest metering system deliver good-looking images, and you also get a decent Live View mo..." More »
80out of 100
CNET UK - Apr 20 2011
"A big factor in the quality of any image is the lens. Our review unit was supplied with an 18-55mm lens with built-in image stabilisation, but the 1100D also supports the full range of Canon and third-party EOS lenses and accessories. The combination we used certainly delivered some great results. Our standard test shot gave us vivid, well-balanced col..." More »
80out of 100
dpreview - Apr 15 2011
"We had no issues with the EOS 1100D's image quality and at default settings the out-of-camera JPEGs show natural colors and a decent amount of detail. The camera's metering and focusing are very unproblematic in almost all shooting situations and only occasionally, mainly in sunny conditions, can it be useful to dial in 1/3EV or so of negative exposure comp..." More »
69out of 100
ePhotoZine - Apr 14 2011
"Exposure is excellent, I took hundreds of photos and never had any concern about exposure, although occasionally I set the exposure compensation to -0.3 to help keep highlight detail in scenes of  contrast. The camera produces very detailed images, and despite the low resolution of only 12 megapixels. JPEG images can be up to 12mb in size, especially w..." More »
80out of 100
Photography BLOG - Mar 25 2011
"The EOS 1100D / T3 is a great entry-level DSLR camera that's well-suited to its beginner target audience. The combination of proven metering, auto-focus and processing systems with a sensible 12 megapixel sensor and simplified control layout is a winning one. There are some notable downsides - the low-resolution LCD screen, lack of an integrated cleaning sy..." More »
90out of 100
Pocket-lint - Mar 18 2011
"The 1100D's image quality is generally very good, though the limitations of the kit lens do throw things awry. The 18-55mm doesn't produce the sharpest images, plus there's notable colour fringing in a number of shooting conditions. But ignore the lens for a moment and, actually, the 1100D really does deliver decent quality. Take its ISO 100-6400 range..." More »
90out of 100
TechRadar - Mar 17 2011
"With this being a basic model, designed for those looking for an introduction to digital SLRs, it was never intended to set the world on fire with new technology. The improvements Canon have made internally are more than welcome, and well overdue, especially in the area if high ISO performance, where the EOS 1100D blows its predecessor out of the water, bri..." More »
80out of 100

DSLR Photography Latest Posts

1486 user reviews

User Review of the camera - Canon EOS Rebel T3

• 2014-04-15 07:00
    1st shoot, Henry Dwilinger
    I took my new Canon EOS Rebel T3 out for a test run this past Friday and loved it! I sold my old Canon D20 and bought this little baby and I am in heaven! I love the digital features and I will be honest, there is still some room for me to learn waht the heck all the settings are, but I love the images that this camera produces!
  • 2014-04-14 07:00
    Great, Dewitt Prince
    Verified Purchase(
    My wife feels like a pro with this camera. It is very user friendly.
    Good battery life .I would reccommend it.
  • 2014-04-14 07:00
    Great, Dewitt Prince
    My wife feels like a pro with this camera. It is very user friendly.
    Good battery life .I would reccommend it.
  • 2014-04-10 07:00
    Father loves it!, Cam ottaviano
    Verified Purchase(
    I bought this cameral for my father and he absolutely loves it. This is a great camera for someone who isn't a professional photographer, he loves the quality of the pictures along with being able to take videos with it. He is a gardner and takes many outside pictures with it and they come out absolutely stunning.
  • 2014-04-10 07:00
    Father loves it!, Cam ottaviano
    I bought this cameral for my father and he absolutely loves it. This is a great camera for someone who isn't a professional photographer, he loves the quality of the pictures along with being able to take videos with it. He is a gardner and takes many outside pictures with it and they come out absolutely stunning.
  • 2014-04-09 07:00
    Daughet Likes It, Has Held Up Over Time, Patrick
    Verified Purchase(
    Two things were key to purchase.
    1. Daughter wanted picture taker, not video camera. Wanted to take stills.
    2. For me, the older model was much cheaper than any new model.
    So, that is it! Good buy.
    Amazons Services is incredible., Sebastian Ibarguen
    Verified Purchase(
    This rating is more with regards to Amazon service as compared to the camera (although it too would receive 5 stars). I first ordered a Canon Rebel T3 and started noticing there was a black smudge in certain pictures, so I did all the basic lens cleaning and ended up finding out it was a problem with the core camera. This must have been 2 months after I had ordered the camera, so the return date had already expired. I didn't have much hope for any solution given the time that had elapse between the order and finding out the source of the problem.
    I then decided to chat with Amazon service and 4 minutes into the chat, I get an email saying that I will receive a new Canon by the next day! Wow! The only thing I had to do was send the defected camera back.
    ps. With regards to the Canon EOS, its great. I have tested at big events and with different lenses and works as expected. Takes great shots.
    Get the T4 or better, PrettyinPink
    Verified Purchase(
    This is great for a beginner. My biggest complain is that when it is in video mode, it does not autofocus. You have to put the button to focus periodically. The other thing I didn't consider until I purchased it was the lack of a front screen. Some of the newer models have a screen you can flip around like a camcorder does. If you are a YouTuber or like to film yourself, this is not a good choice.
    Daughet Likes It, Has Held Up Over Time, Patrick
    Two things were key to purchase.
    1. Daughter wanted picture taker, not video camera. Wanted to take stills.
    2. For me, the older model was much cheaper than any new model.
    So, that is it! Good buy.
    Amazons Services is incredible., Sebastian Ibarguen
    This rating is more with regards to Amazon service as compared to the camera (although it too would receive 5 stars). I first ordered a Canon Rebel T3 and started noticing there was a black smudge in certain pictures, so I did all the basic lens cleaning and ended up finding out it was a problem with the core camera. This must have been 2 months after I had ordered the camera, so the return date had already expired. I didn't have much hope for any solution given the time that had elapse between the order and finding out the source of the problem.
    I then decided to chat with Amazon service and 4 minutes into the chat, I get an email saying that I will receive a new Canon by the next day! Wow! The only thing I had to do was send the defected camera back.
    ps. With regards to the Canon EOS, its great. I have tested at big events and with different lenses and works as expected. Takes great shots.
    Get the T4 or better, PrettyinPink
    This is great for a beginner. My biggest complain is that when it is in video mode, it does not autofocus. You have to put the button to focus periodically. The other thing I didn't consider until I purchased it was the lack of a front screen. Some of the newer models have a screen you can flip around like a camcorder does. If you are a YouTuber or like to film yourself, this is not a good choice.
  • 2014-04-05 07:00
    Gets the job done., Glen Mitchell
    Verified Purchase(
    Very user friendly and gets the job done. I would highly recommend this Camara to anyone trying use a new Camara.
    very happy, ARON LEFKOWITZ
    Verified Purchase(
    fantastic. this camera takes beautiful photos. I love to use it for products as well as for my kids taking lots of pictures.
    very happy, ARON LEFKOWITZ
    fantastic. this camera takes beautiful photos. I love to use it for products as well as for my kids taking lots of pictures.
    Gets the job done., Glen Mitchell
    Very user friendly and gets the job done. I would highly recommend this Camara to anyone trying use a new Camara.
  • 2014-04-04 07:00
    Great!, egilbert
    Verified Purchase(
    I'm not into any major photography, I just wanted a nice camera to take photographs of my then infant son. The images come out crisp and clear, and I've also bought a couple lenses in addition to the one that came with the camera.
    First Time Photographer, JPansitas
    Verified Purchase(
    This camera is great so far. Not to complicated to use. Size and weight are also pretty good. Comes with more than enough instructions for a beginner like myself. I'm glad I made the purchase. I would recommend.
    Great!, egilbert
    I'm not into any major photography, I just wanted a nice camera to take photographs of my then infant son. The images come out crisp and clear, and I've also bought a couple lenses in addition to the one that came with the camera.
    First Time Photographer, JPansitas
    This camera is great so far. Not to complicated to use. Size and weight are also pretty good. Comes with more than enough instructions for a beginner like myself. I'm glad I made the purchase. I would recommend.
  • 2014-04-03 07:00
    Great Camera!, Amanda Hedrick
    Verified Purchase(
    I love this camera. I am taking a beginning photography course and this is a basic camera, yet it takes amazing pictures! Great price.